Friday, October 26, 2012

Be in the know



Another really great website to join is creditkarma.com.  Free of charge, you can find out your credit score, tips for increasing your credit score and detailed information about why your score is what it is.  And recently Credit Karma added a free credit monitoring service.  I signed myself and my husband up right away for that one since this is a service that you usually have to pay for through a company.

Now for my confession:  I’m a Dave Ramsey-ite.  I truly believe his baby steps plan is simple and genius.  However, I do think there is value in having a good credit score.  He advocates that you cut up your credit cards and never look back.  I use my credit wisely and it rewards me with a lower car insurance rate, cash back through my Chase Freedom credit card and I can look forward to a great mortgage interest rate when the husband and I are ready to find our forever home. 

While I look at mint.com daily, I check creditkarma.com about once a month, unless I’m bored.  And then I’ll look at it more just because it is fun to me to watch my credit score increase and the site has a lot of graphic ways of showing me this information.  Knowledge is power. 

2 comments:

  1. I always forget to check this place out. I'll do it tonight with Danny!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been looking for a REAL free site, but all I could find were free for a couple months. Thanks for the tip. This site is great!

    ReplyDelete