Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Staying Strong

This is a time of great temptation.  Between the parties and family gatherings, shopping malls and special events, there are lots of opportunities to overindulge.  And I'm a firm believer in balance, so don't think I'm advocating a festivity-free season.  It is important to plan in advance and stick to your budget/diet/etc.  But at times it is difficult to stay strong despite careful planning.

Here are some of my tips for keeping on track, at least budget wise:

1. This sounds like a diet management idea but really, during the holidays, it can be just as useful with budgeting; EAT BEFORE YOU LEAVE YOUR HOME!  It will be easier to refrain from dipping into your wallet if you have a full belly when ogling delicious looking delicacies, which seem to be everywhere you go this time of year.
    
2.  Keep your goals foremost in your mind.  It is easier to say   
"no" to yourself if you are reminded and focused on why you're denying yourself.  For me, I like to picture myself in France, debt free and my wealth
building in a Scrooge McDuck-like money bin for me to swim in when I get back.
  3.  Have an accountability partner.  My husband will sometimes give me "the look" when I get swept away in emotions of I NEED that.  And I do the same for him.  In fact, I'm probably the one that does it for both of us more often than not.  It is almost like any type of addiction, you need people to come along side of you and help you through your trials of temptation.  A good friend or loved one is usually only a phone call or text away when you need backup support.


No comments:

Post a Comment